Bookshelf

Tuesday 4 September 2012

Review: Spark (Elemental #2) by Brigid Kemmerer

Gabriel Merrick plays with fire. Literally.

Sometimes he can even control it. And sometimes he can’t. Like the fire that killed his parents.


Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick. But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel. Only he’s not doing it.


More than Gabriel’s pride is at stake -- this could cost him his family, maybe his life. And no one seems to hear him. Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance. Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets. She has a few of her own.


Gabriel can’t let her guess about his brothers, about his abilities, about the danger that’s right at his heels. But there are some risks he can’t help taking.


The fuse is lit…



MY OPINION:

Well, no book is entirely without flaws but this book is a nice read. This book is written from Gabriel point of view. The characters in the book are so well written that I found myself  actually being able  relate and sympathise with them several time while reading the book.  Gabriel's  character portrayed several emotions : love, self-doubt, betrayal, anger, frustration, need to be loved and understood.

There is a little mix up regarding Simon's hearing and speaking ability and it isn't well conveyed, but that's a minor thing.

What I like about this series is that each book in this series is written from a different brothers point of view and tells his story . This is a new and refreshing concept in young adult books and is more often found in romance and action series like those written by Maya Banks , Lori Foster. etc.


While I wanted a little more action towards the end...you know..like a final show down ..BUT now that I think about it...it would have lead to the revelation of Gabriel power to Layne in a drop of the bomb manner. Nick being with her first and  Gabriel finding them later and no physical confrontation with 

Calla..helped to make Layne's acceptance of Gabriel's power more believable. 
Another thing I liked about the book was that Lynne's father turned out to be a decent man rather than the enemy (that would definitely have been predictable..!)

Summing up,this book is worth a read !


My favourite quote:


    She paused. “Look, I don’t want you to get the wrong idea ” 
   “Don’t worry, I already have.”

My Rating:

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sally,

    I saw your comment on Book Blogs, thanks for the message. I'm a new follower, great blog!
    Mine is http://homeiswherethebookis.blogspot.com/
    I would love for you to come check it out and follow me :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there..!
      I am glad you decided yo join me here..!
      Following you now..! :)

      Delete
  2. So jelly!! I want to read this too...
    Btw, I'm your newest follower, hoping for a follow back at http://zue-leysza.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there..!
      Thanks for dropping by..!
      Following you now..! :)

      Delete
  3. I was a bit skeptical about Spark series but your review convinced me, I'll read it soon
    Nice blog, ave you read Entice?? I ave heard good tings about it.

    p.s.- I am your new follower.
    Please follow back
    XoXoO..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ankita..! :)
      Thanks for stopping by..!
      Yep..! I have read Entice...though I haven't reviewed it yet...!!

      Following you already !

      Delete
  4. I have this book on my shelf and want to read it but my evergrowing pile of books keeps me from doing so. I really like that Spark is written in another POV it's kind of refreshing. Great review! :)

    -Kaina @ These Flying Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kaina..!
      Thanks for stopping by..!
      I am glad you enjoyed the review..! :)

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of writing each book from a different person's perspective (though the first series I thought of when you mentioned this was 'The Babysitter's Club'...). I've been toying around with writing a story that used an alternating POV between two sisters, but I wonder if alternating books would be a better way to handle it.

    Saw your comment on Book Blogs, and I'm now following you! My blog is nickieanderson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete